Mimi Rogers at the Mouth

 Mimi Rogers at the Mouth

Mimi Rogers at the Mouth

Charms for the Easy Life is a made-for-television movie about three women (played by Gena Rowlands, Mimi Rogers and Susan May Pratt) who defy gender roles during World War II. Gena Rowlands plays the role of a successful and astute holistic doctor without a medical license. If a patient died who was known for lying or deceitfulness, she would ask her granddaughter to look in the mouth of the deceased to see if this person had "purged" ("to rid of impurities, cleanse, purify, to rid, clear or free"). She explained that if saliva foamed around their mouth, they had purged everything out before passing. In other words, they had cleansed and purified themselves of false statements, lies and self-deceptions.

 Mimi Rogers at the Mouth

Mimi Rogers at the Mouth

At the end of the movie, the granddaughter (Susan May Pratt) finds that her grandmother has passed on during the night. Curious about the old woman's practices, the granddaughter immediately checks her grandmother's mouth to see if she has purged. She finds no trace of saliva, indicating that the elderly woman had lived true to her word-she had no need for the last-minute purging like people who had lived deceitful lives. What truths flow out of your heart? Do they include any lingering regrets or elements of deceit?

 Mimi Rogers at the Mouth

Mimi Rogers at the Mouth

Deceit rears its ugly head at work when you pretend you agree with your boss. Perhaps you feel that your opinions are devalued or sense that your principles lead you in a different direction than his/hers. Even this minimal level of deceit represents a choice not to act courageously by speaking your convictions and damages your own honesty. Instead of saying, "I really don't want to do this," or "I don't agree with this procedure," you will probably start thinking about how you do not want to burn bridges. But any degree of self-deceit will require purging at some point, and purging commonly takes place after you leave your job and realize that you "should" have left sooner than later. It takes a lot of effort to display the authentic Self at work.

 Mimi Rogers at the Mouth

Mimi Rogers at the Mouth

Later, in one of my monthly courage e-zines I used the segment "Foaming at the Mouth." I received an e-mail a few weeks later from Wendy who wrote, "I wanted to write to you telling you how much I appreciated receiving your newsletter last month--'Foaming at the Mouth'. It made such an impact on me. I reread it numerous times and, in fact, it finally gave me the courage to speak my mind. I had been having a sore throat and almost laryngitis (imagine that) for quite a while and when I finally told my husband that I was tired of his using me and draining me financially and emotionally, and I am tired of living a lie. My throat 'miraculously' cleared up. Now my voice is strong both physically as well as emotionally. After allowing him to take advantage of me and my daughter for the last eight years, I am finally leaving. Not that it is something to be cheered on or celebrated, I am thankful that I am finally purging myself of 'false statements, lies and self-deceptions'."

 Mimi Rogers at the Mouth

Mimi Rogers at the Mouth

I feel blessed that people write and tell me how my work experientially moved them to claim their courage. Wendy's blinders to her courage were removed because she "allowed" courage to come into her life and have a revelation. A few months later I received another email from Wendy sharing how she is also pursuing a new career path that fits her skills and heart's desire.

 Mimi Rogers at the Mouth

Mimi Rogers at the Mouth

Sandra Ford Walston, known as The Courage Expert and innovator of StuckThinking™, is a learning consultant, corporate trainer and courage coach. Sandra's expertise allows her to focus on the tricks and traps of the human condition through recognizing and interpreting courage behaviors, courageous leadership and individual personality and leadership styles. The internationally published author of bestseller COURAGE, "STUCK 12 Steps Up the Leadership Ladder, is Sandra's follow-up book directed at any woman, regardless of title or credentials, who wishes" to grow professionally by introducing courage actions at work. Her third book, "FACE IT! 12 Obstacles that Hold You Back on the Job" (2011) confirms that what holds you back on the job is the same as what hinders achievement-the reluctance to face and live a courageous life. Sandra is qualified to administer and interpret the Myers-Briggs Type Indicator®, is a certified Enneagram teacher, and an instructor at the University of Denver. Visit http://www.sandrawalston.com where she posts a courage blog and courage newsletter.


0 comments:

Post a Comment

Search This Blog